05 September 2024

The world is full of fake crystal and fossil specimens - updated


Image cropped from the original posted in the whatsthisrock subreddit.  I suppose in all fairness one could refer to such a thing as an objet d'art, but they are typically marketed as an exotic and valuable mineral oddity to deceive the buyer.

Addendum:  another example -


The Reddit discussion thread says the fakes are even present at souks in Morocco.

Addendum: here is a real Thomsonite (with mesolite) specimen -


Gorgeous.

2 comments:

  1. I have bought a few fake fossils recently. However , they were marketed as being fake. They still look authentic and were really inexpensive. Still a neat thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show a few years ago and on my first day nearly bought some fantastic amber with a spider in it. The sellers didn't speak English so I couldn't ask details. The price was right. Luckily a friend talked me down before I went for it - the price was too good to be true. A couple days later I saw some really amazing amber with petrified wood and the price reflected its apparent authenticity.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...