07 January 2024

Nightcap


In today's common parlance a "nightcap" would be a recreational beverage taken in the predormital period, but in the broader sweep of history a "nightcap" was literally a hat worn during sleep (the embroidered one pictured above is from the early seventeenth century, in the decorative arts holdings of the British Museum). Modern readers would associate a nightcap with Ebenezer Scrooge or perhaps with the narrator of "A Visit from St Nicholas" ("... and mamma in her kerchief and me in my cap/ had just settled our brains for a long winter's nap...").

With the advent of widespread indoor heating in the 20th century, nightcaps became "old-fashioned" except for "boudoir caps" worn to protect elaborate hairstyles during sleep or to cover messy hair during nighttime trips to air-raid shelters.

Here in the Upper Midwest, commonsense personal finance dictates turning thermostats down during the night - but when the room temperature reaches the low 60s, I personally find it harder to get to sleep, so I started wearing a beanie made by Smartwool.  It was designed for outdoor sports (thin to fit under a helmet), but it makes a world of difference for sleeping in a cold room.

9 comments:

  1. I thought that the idea that the head is a major source of heat loss was kind of a myth. https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/do-we-really-lose-most-of-our-heat-through-our-heads

    Not dissing your cap or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was true, but I appreciate your link and have deleted that misinformation from the post. Tx.

      Delete
    2. Even if we don't lose *most* of our heat through our heads, it can make a big difference to wear a cap. We also sleep in a room around 60F. While I don't wear a cap, sometimes vputting the covers over my head like a scarf does keep me warm.

      Delete
    3. Even if we don't lose an unusual amount of heat through the head, when the rest of the body is covered and the head is not, it's (the head) going to feel cold. I wear a wool cap in the cold months myself.
      Sandra

      Delete
  2. Ragg wool socks are as good as it gets--at least for me. They ensure feet are "toasty" rather than hot (and sweaty!). You can wear them comfortably in summer or winter--because they breathe so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smartwool socks are amazing! Never tried the cap, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wearing socks to bed helps you sleep better...

    "Can Wearing Socks to Bed Help You Sleep Better?"

    https://health.clevelandclinic.org/sleeping-with-socks-on

    I wear what are sometimes called "cancer hats" or "chemo caps" when I sleep. These are loose fitting cotton beannies. "Cancer hats" refers to their use by people who have lost their hair during treatment for cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaving my head seemed like a good idea in August of 2022. But by October my head was cold ALL of the time. A polar fleece beanie stays on my head 24/7 until May 1 and even then stays within reach. But I would trade it in an instant for the Night Cap pictured above. very nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. My house drops to 58F at night; sleeping with/in a velvet hoodie and a double-layer sweatshirt-type material hat is just warm and cuddly. I have tried knit wool or fleece or acrylic caps and toques - they are too itchy at night.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...