17 August 2023

Diagnosing scabies with a "burrow ink test"

"... when a papule on the wrist was covered with a purple skin marker (Panel B) and then wiped with an alcohol swab, an ink-filled skin burrow became visible (Panel C). On the basis of this positive “burrow ink test,” a diagnosis of scabies was made. Scabies is a pruritic skin infestation caused by Sarcoptes scabiei var. hominis, the only mite known to burrow into the stratum corneum. The burrow ink test is a simple, rapid, and inexpensive method to visualize the pathognomonic burrows."
This was new to me.  You learn something every day.  The full case report is at The New England Journal of Medicine.

2 comments:

  1. I have long dreamed of naming a kitten, "Scabies". Think of the possibilities! I could tell visitors, "We have scabies here," or perhaps offer them scabies if the kitten were in my arms. To my wife I might say, "I got scabies for you, dear" or "You can get scabies from me, dear".
    And I would tell everyone, all the time, "I'm so glad I got scabies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had scabies twice so far. 0/10, do not recommend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...