06 June 2023

An absolutely amazing crossword construction


There are various ways in which crossword puzzles can be interesting - sometimes from the content, sometimes from the construction.  I remember one NYT crossword in which the constructor was able to incorporate the letter "Z" 40 times in the grid.  The most wickedly fiendish clue I've seen was "Line just before a comma" (7) [answer in the Comments].

The puzzle partially embedded above is from the New York Times on June 6, 2023.  The unique construction aspect will not be apparent from the blank grid, and was not evident to me after completing the puzzle - until I read the commentary at this link.  Awesome.  My cruciverbalist hat is off to Daniel Jaret, the constructor.

3 comments:

  1. The seven-letter "line just before a comma" was ZXCVBNM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for mentioning the puzzle. I didn't notice anything until I stared at the puzzle for a bit after finishing it; pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...