17 March 2023

"Booklava"


The Western New York Book Arts Collaborative held an Edible Book contest.  This was the entry by Chuk and Cara Matteliano.
“I’m an engineer by training, and my wife has her PhD in speech communication,” said Matteliano...

He ran some trials with notoriously delicate phyllo, finally learning how to attach uncooked phyllo sheets to paper before passing them through an inkjet printer loaded with nontoxic ink. The Mattelianos printed pages from Homer’s Odyssey on phyllo, mounted them with more phyllo baked into a flaky, many-layered dessert, and there it was: “Booklava: An Edible Odyssey.”

The printed phyllo turned yellow and started to crack, so it looked even more like an old book,” said Matteliano, whose creation won first place. “I don’t know that we’ll be able to top it this year.”
Found at Edible Geography in 2010.  Image credit Caesandra Seawell.

2 comments:

  1. Before COVID a lot of libraries held Edible Books events on the first or second of April, and I'm glad to see them making a comeback.
    Often the interpretations get really creative and one of my favorites at a library near me several years ago was "Gone With The Wind". It was just a scattering of crumbs on a platter.
    Not as impressive as "Booklava" but I like how Edible Books events have a wide range of entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I'm thrilled to see such astounding creativity still exists among my fellow human beings just at the moment I'm thinking that we have devolved into a world of cruelty and cravenness.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...