26 April 2022

Morel mushrooms successfully cultivated

The morel mushroom is known as one of the world’s most coveted edible mushrooms. During the last hundred years, it has only with limited success been possible to cultivate black morel mushrooms under controlled, indoor conditions. We are therefore very pleased to announce that we finally, after many years of intensive research at the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University and the University of Copenhagen, have invented and developed a method for controlled indoor cultivation of black morel mushrooms all-year-round under well defined conditions in climate chambers. We are able to produce 4.2 kilos of first-class morels per square metre within a total cultivation period of 22 weeks, corresponding to an annual production of 10 kilos of morels per square metre. The method is so well developed, that a commercial production can be started after an appropriate automation of the cultivation process.
More information and a brief video at The Danish Morel Project.

Related: Pig is an excellent movie.

6 comments:

  1. Reminds me of this poem.
    https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/49277/morel-mushrooms

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I caught common morels (Eastern Townships of Quebec), I was thrilled by what was to me a rarity. I cooked them, in scrambled eggs. I was disappointed. Very bland tasting - I had to really concentrate to taste the faint mushroominess. If they manage to grow boletes, that will be news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm.. where did you say that your lab was?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The town we used to live in: Richmond, Missouri, is known for their morels - self proclaimed "mushroom capital of the world".
    Every spring they have a mushroom festival and people comb the woods for miles around searching for the elusive wild morel.
    I remember finding a quart of them in my yard one year. I found them quite tasty when cooked in butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a sad, but related, news story tonight. It's actually not unusual for mushroom hunters to discover other things during the course of their search.

      https://www.kmbc.com/article/ray-county-missouri-mushroom-hunter-finds-human-skeletal-remains/39863072

      Delete
  5. One of the high points of my gastronomic life was when I received a bag of dried morels from my mother-in-law, an accomplished mushroom hunter. I took them on a camping trip to cook them up as a treat for the other who were along. Re-constituted them, cleaned them, cooked them in butter. Lo and behold, the others did not trust that my mother-in-law hadn't given me a bag of poisonous mushrooms; I had to eat them all by myself. What a shame!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...