18 August 2020

Dormant


A prolonged dry spell in August, and the front yard has turned brown except for a portion that has been shaded by this crabapple tree on one side and the pines on the other.

When I was younger, a similar course of events would result in my father sending me out with a tangle of garden hoses and sprinklers that had to be moved every which way every hour or two to get the lawn green again (except for one sprinkler that was designed to creep along its own hose).

Now as an adult I realize that it's o.k. to let a lawn enter a dormant state during prolonged dry spells.  It will revive with the application of water after several weeks of seeming death.  It's unattractive in some people's eyes, and I note a somewhat checkerboard pattern in our subdivision, with alternating brownish and greenish lawns.

All of which is a roundabout way of explaining that TYWKIWDBI is also going to enter a dormant state for a week or two.  The blog will revive with the application of some enthusiasm after that time period.  In previous years I've used these summer doldrums to travel, but in this alternate reality we currently occupy, I'm planning to tend to other home and personal matters. 

I might get up enough enthusiasm for a few linkdumps to clean out old bookmarks.  Otherwise, it's siesta time.  Bye for now.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...