Found while going through some family archives today. I sent this to my aunt and uncle when I was 8 years old. She kept it for 60+ years, and then it cycled back to me as memorabilia when her estate was settled.
There are several interesting features, including the postal cancel "Fight infantile paralysis. Join March of Dimes." In 1955 I was in the recovery phase from paralytic polio, so that coincidence is quite striking. There was of course no ZIP code (introduced 1963), my misspelling of "resolution" at that age is probably understandable, and my admonition to the mailman that the contents of the card is "private" is of course laughable.

What a thoughtful item to return to you. Also, your penmanship. Whoa.
ReplyDeleteI love this!! How sweet of her to have willed this back to you!
ReplyDeletebobbie
Not willed. One of my cousins found it while sorting through a house full of miscellaneous and mailed it to me.
DeleteRespectfully, I think she wanted you to have this back. Through the medium of your cousin, it was willed back to you!
Deletebobbie
Also a 2 cent stamp!
ReplyDeleteFrom the classic "Presidential Issues" series of 1938, in which the denomination of the stamp corresponds to the president's numerical order of succession (Jefferson on the 3c, Madison on the 4c, Lincoln on the 16c, Benjamin Harrison on the 24c, etc etc) (Franklin on the 1/2c, Martha Washington on the 1 1/2c)
DeleteVery cool!
DeleteThe most charming aspect is that originally you wrote out Mississippi which took up two lines.
ReplyDeleteWhat is on the front of the postcard?
ReplyDeleteText at the top of the back describes what is on the front; you can find examples on eBay or via a search engine. I didn't keep the original; I digitized all my memorabilia and then trashed the physical versions
DeleteWhat a fantastic treasure from your childhood. No such care was given to any of my childhood writings.
ReplyDelete