Essentials of non-realistic Christianity
- Religion is about internal spiritual experiences, and that is all.
- There is no world other than the material world around us.
- There are no beings other than the living organisms on this planet or elsewhere in the universe.
- There is no objective being or thing called God that exists separately from the person believing in him.
- There is no 'ultimate reality' outside human minds either.
- We give our own lives meaning and purpose; there is nothing outside us that does it for us.
- God is a projection of the human mind.
- "God" is the way human beings put 'spiritual' ideals into a poetic form that they are able to use and work with.
- "God" is simply a word that stands for our highest ideals.
Worship and prayerIf there's no God out there, it might seem pointless to go to church, or to pray. Christian Atheists would disagree:
Worship is a beneficial activity. Worship in a group is good way for a community to:
- communicate with each other
- share ideals and ideas
- explore the meaning and purpose of their individual lives, and the life of their community
Benefits of this form of beliefThose who who believe like this claim many advantages for it:
- Humanity is forced to take responsibility for everything.
- Human beings are seen as powerful and able to do things for themselves.
- Religion no longer has to try to explain many difficult issues that go with believing in supernatural things.
- Religion is no longer in opposition to scientific progress.
There are several more bullet points under these headings at the BBC.