25 August 2015

This dog can sniff the location of hidden flash drives

Bear, you see, is no ordinary dog. He's able to sniff out things that most people may not even realize have a scent... During a police raid on Fogle's home in July, investigators seized multiple smartphones, MP3 players, tablets, laptops, CDs, memory cards and drives. But there was one crucial piece of evidence that would have gone undiscovered if it weren't for Bear and his incredible sense of smell. The dog, say prosecutors, was able to track down a flash drive Fogle had hidden that contained data important to the investigation. As it turns out, the rambunctious black Lab is one of only four K9 units in the country who has been specially trained to detect the smell of electronic storage devices. "Bear is unique because he can sniff out SD cards, thumb drives, external hard drives, iPads and micro SD cards..."
Image cropped for size from the original.

6 comments:

  1. That's amazing. I had no idea flash memory even had a scent.

    (Also, this would explain why Jared's been nowhere near Subway recently... Yikes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look up Fogle, as I had no idea who he is/was.
    I see no reason why the police would be interested in him.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Fogle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Fogle

      Delete
    2. Ah, that's just me and my morning coffee running a flag up the pole regarding American's closed view of the world, as in, most Americans write as if their entire readership lives in …America.
      This even though the world population is some 7 billion and the U.S.A. has 0.3 (?) billion, a ratio of less than 21:1.
      Yes, no, my sarcasm never has been funny.
      Please take it as though it were.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it strange that we have to use the roundabout descriptor "K9 Unit", instead of the far more succinct "dog".

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Circumlocutary", that's the word I was rummaging inside my head for. Time for a clear-out of the brain...I could ditch the piano lessons, I think, been in there since the late 1950s, and of no use to me whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...