05 July 2009

Yellow eggs and orange eggs on milkweed



Several days ago, a cluster of bright yellow spherical eggs appeared on the underside of one of our milkweed plants (Asclepias syriaca) in the garden. I have no idea what they are. Ladybird beetle eggs can be yellow but are, I think, more elongated.

This morning I found a group of orange eggs on the swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) out back. These I suspect are from a swamp milkweed leaf beetle.

I'll be holding both groups until they hatch just to see what they are.

6 comments:

  1. Hi There
    I found some as well. Did you find out what they were?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orange ones did in fact turn into beetle larvae; they're still immature but I believe they are the swamp milkweed leaf beetles.

    I'll have to look through my photos re the yellow eggs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of these yellow ones on my swamp milkweed everywhere this year...have you had any luck figuring out what they are?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't found any followup photos of the yellow eggs. If I remember correctly I had to leave on a trip and rather than leave them unattended in the house, I just placed the leaf back in the garden.

    If yours hatch and you can identify (or describe) the hatchlings, please post the info here; there may be others as interested as I would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've googled this as I just found some all over my cat's blanket! I have thrown them outside but worry that the cat is somehow infested.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...