11 October 2022

Opening lines from famous movies

Selections from a compilation at filmsite.org, where there is also a list of famous last lines in movies. The ones below are in chronological order by the year of release of the movie. Answers in the comments section.
“Hunger strike, eh? How long has this been going on?”

“Last night, I dreamt I went to Manderley again.”

Senator Samuel Foley - dead, yeah, yeah, died a minute ago - here at St. Vincent's.”

“I never knew the old Vienna before the war, with its Strauss music, its glamour and easy charm - Constantinople suited me better. I really got to know it in the classic period of the Black Market. We'd run anything, if people wanted it enough and had the money to pay...”

“I beg your pardon, but aren't you Guy Haines?”

“You never did eat your lunch, did you?” “I'd better get back to the office. These extended lunch hours give my boss excess acid.”

“He was the most extraordinary man I ever knew.”

“Maycomb was a tired old town, even in 1932 when I first knew it. Somehow, it was hotter then. Men's stiff collars wilted by nine in the morning. Ladies bathed before noon after their three o'clock naps. And by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frosting from sweating and sweet talcum. The day was twenty-four hours long, but it seemed longer...”

“Don't tell me, you didn't know it was loaded.”

“As in every stone of this size, there is a flaw.”

“Hey boy, what you doin' with my Mama's car? Wait there!”

“Please, sir, I want some more.”

“Here you are, sir. Main Level D.”

“All right, Curly, enough's enough. You can't eat the venetian blinds. I just had 'em installed on Wednesday.”

“Will you just watch the hair? You know, I work on my hair a long time and you hit it. He hits my hair.”

“He even took the gramophone on safari.”

“On the 23rd Day of the Month of September in an early year of a decade not too long before our own, the human race suddenly encountered a deadly threat to its very existence, and this terrifying enemy surfaced, as such enemies often do, in the seemingly most innocent and unlikely of places...”

Reposted from 2009.

11 comments:

  1. It Happened One Night (1934)

    Rebecca (1940)

    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

    The Third Man (1949)

    Strangers on a Train (1951)

    Psycho (1960)

    Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

    To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

    Charade (1963)

    The Pink Panther (1964)

    Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

    Oliver! (1968)

    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

    Chinatown (1974)

    Saturday Night Fever (1977)

    Out of Africa (1985)

    Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only movies I have heard of are:

    Psycho (1960)
    Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
    The Pink Panther (1964)
    Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

    but I watched only:

    The Pink Panther (1964)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

    Nice to know they are famous, I am going to watch all the others. Thanks for the advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BIASED!!! I was only alive for two of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Marco - Please remember that "famous" lines don't necerssarily mean that the movie was necessarily "great" - or even "good."

    Although in this case, I've seen them all and would consider them very good to excellent. You have some wonderful experiences ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, he's in for some great entertainment.
      xoxoxoBruce

      Delete
  5. I got Lawrence of Arabia, Psycho, and Out of Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2001 is a nice one, it must happen so long into the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's 25 minutes, 38 seconds into the movie - after all the monkey stuff.

      Delete
  7. I've checked the scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey and I'm pretty sure the line is "Here you are, sir. Main level please."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strangely enough, I had just saved the link to this post to share with some friends, when I by entirely other means came across this. Interesting serendipity. https://www.facebook.com/OfficialQI/posts/pfbid0N1w7dZpWwdUPnc3CWQgLJ3UjEQrwRVCB1HFupSPom9xbTLxyt7N5bajkouZrGid5l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting site, especially since they include video clips

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...