Herewith some passages from "Less is Enough" - an excerpt in Harper's Magazine from the foreword to an upcoming republication of Wendell Berry's The Unsettling of America: Culture and Agriculture.
"...by the work of my father and other good men to preserve the Burley Tobacco Growers Cooperative Association. For about sixty-four years, by a combination of price supports and production controls, that association preserved the lives and livelihoods of small farmers. To limit the production of a product to demand, or to a demand knowingly estimated, is a simple matter. The automobile industry can do it. So can a child. Excessive brain power is not required to “figure it out.” And so it seems odd and even strange that my province and its provinciality produced the only sound agricultural economy that I have known.Only in agriculture, so far as I know, is this obvious truth ignored, or even overturned on the recommendation of highest authority. In the Seventies, the secretary of agriculture, Earl L. Butz, who supposed that foreign demand would grow without limit, advised American farmers to plow “fencerow to fencerow.” More recently, other experts have advised American farmers to go all out growing soybeans, supposing they will be needed by the Chinese or somebody. Only in agriculture is the rule to produce as much as possible, this silliness to be redeemed if not by the market then by the government. I don’t think this can be dignified or excused by calling it “economics” or “capitalism.” It comes from ignorance or indifference. And it rests on the assumption that farmers deserve their low status because they are in general stupid and their work requires no learning or intelligence. This is the one-crop-by-prescription agriculture invented by the experts and of course recommended by them...As the experts were seeing it in 1974, the purpose of farming was not the production of the healthiest food at the lowest cost to the land and the people. The purpose was the consumption of agri-industrial products: chemicals, seeds, and machines. The only recognized value was accounted by money...But in 1974, we had as now, no viable concept of enough. To have some is to need more, and after that, more and more. To have more and more than you need is now a form of common sense, and so we have developed a sort of vogue of billionaires, when the model of citizenship is set by such people as Elon Musk and Donald Trump. To be successful now is to achieve the satisfaction of one’s greed, which of course is enlarged by every additional prospect of satisfaction.Such was the state of things in 1974, and the state of things is much worse in 2026. We foresee no practical enactment of the concept of enough, but rather submit to the absolute determinism of progress: progress undirected and inevitable. Progress forbids us to stop when we are satisfied. We must go on, adopting the changes of technology, whatever the cost may be to ourselves and our children.
Well said, and I agree 100%.
This essay resonated with me because I used to live in Kentucky (home turf for Berry), and like Berry I had a tobacco allotment. My first gainful employment as an adult was at the V.A. Medical Center and the University of Kentucky in Lexington. After a few years of frugal apartment living, I purchased my first home (in that era an $85,000 mortgage got me a nice home with about 10 acres of land in a semi-rural area half an hour from work).
My land had a history of being a tobacco farm; the photo embedded at the top of this post is a view of my "garage", which was an old tobacco barn. For those interested, the long drainpipe collected water from the tin roof, which was then directed to an underground cistern to provide my drinking/bathing water. The drainpipe ends at a bucket on top of the boards covering the cistern, and the bucket had I think some sand to act as a "filter", but every year when the leaves fell onto the barn roof and gutter, various insect larvae would wind up coming out of the faucets in my home.
But back to the tobacco. Whoever owns the farm owns an "allotment" that allows (but does not require) you to grow X number of pounds of tobacco. I was working 70-hour weeks, so I did what other farm-squatters did - I drove down to the courthouse once each spring, surveyed the bulletin board and found an offer from someone to sell them my tobacco allotment so they could grow the product. I don't know how many pounds I was allowed, but the average amount I received each year was about $200.
I don't know if that system still exists in Kentucky or elsewhere, but as Wendell Berry indicates, it was created to control production, because farmers early on realized that overproduction beyond demand just lowers unit costs to the end-user rather than raising farm income.
It is probably no longer possible to live in a "controlled economy," but the principle emphasized by Berry - satisfaction with "enough" - can be applied to a more comprehensive view of lifestyle and life goals.

No comments:
Post a Comment