Bloomington nurse and mom Roze Mulen poses with her trinket trade box, where people can swap figurines and toys.
(Roze Mulen/Provided)
The trinket trade is taking root thanks in part to America’s trending obsession with blind boxes. The Asian retail craze drives shoppers to gamble on purchases of collectible toys and figurines. But buyers don’t know which item is in the box until they open it.Roze Mulen, a nurse and mom in Bloomington, said her office is packed full of trinkets, including duplicates she’s unknowingly bought in blind boxes. After scrolling on TikTok and seeing people across the country start trinket swaps, she decided to bring the idea to the Twin Cities suburbs...Trinket trade boxes have lately been popping up across the Twin Cities and in the suburbs especially, as parents and artists like Ross aim to add more whimsy to their residential streets and subdivisions sometimes known for their sameness.“I wanted to build an interactive community-wide art piece where everyone gets to feel that childhood magic,” Ross said. “It’s not just about trading items. It’s about trading moments of joy.”
Buying boxes of unknown products on the internet seems to me a chancy proposition, but moments of joy are in short supply these days, so if this variant of the Little Free Library does bring joy to others, good for them. More info at the Star Tribune.

Child's first introduction to gambling. Should be banned for under 16s. Oddly enough I think one of the only countries that regulates blind boxes is... wait for it... China. Not strong rules but some rules.
ReplyDeleteSomeone in the neighborhood put up a book swap box. I have picked up a book or two, but I found a better use for it. Someone in the neighborhood had thrown out a big box of toy cars. After picking out the ones I wanted, I have been putting some in the book box every couple of weeks. Those disappear in hours! Iam happy because I am recycling and some kids are getting free toys.
ReplyDeleteMy twin grandtwins will be 3 in September and have discovered one on the way to play in one of the neighborhood Minneapolis parks. There's nothing "blind" in the ones I've seen, just little toys and trinkets to trade for things the kids are willing to give up in trade. No "gambling" or "blind" aspect in our experience.
ReplyDeleteSort of like geocaching w/o all the finding rigamarole.
ReplyDelete