31 July 2012

A lamp full of memories


Here's the owner's story, posted at Reddit:
The lamp is a glass jar full of all the things that my mom found in my pockets when doing my laundry as a child. I was born in 1986, and you can tell from a lot of the items in it.

It started off with mostly sticks, rocks, and marbles. But over time it ended up having all sorts of items ranging from Pogs, a Gameboy game (Super Mario Land), a Magic School Bus McDonald's toy, yo-yos, and Laser Quest scorecards. There are also plenty of sticks, springs, rubber-bands, and twist-ties because I went through a phase where I remember telling my parents I was going to build a robot with just those items.

I will admit that there are a few items in there from my early 20s too, as like any lazy college student, I let my mom wash my clothes while staying at home from college between semesters. And clearly, my mom was still collecting my things.

Growing up, whenever I left something in my pockets and put them in the dirty laundry, before she would wash things, she checked my pockets, and if she found anything, she put it in a glass jar on the top shelf in the laundry room. I remember as a kid, wishing soooo hard that I could get some of the items back, but it was forbidden to even go near the jar.

By the time I was old enough to be sneaky about it and get into it, I had just learned to accept that that was how it worked and I wouldn't get those things back.

Years went by and I had completely forgotten about it, until this last May. I got married, and at our rehearsal dinner, when my mom and dad stood up to give their thank you speech, my mom pulled a large gift bag out from under the table. She started by giving a short speech explaining that over the years she had collected stuff from my pockets, and it was in that moment that I thought, "I'm gonna get the jar!" I started tearing up before she had finished talking. When she did, I opened the bag and found that not only was I getting the jar, I was getting it back in the form of a lamp (and yes, she has sealed the top of the lamp to it so that I still CANNOT open it).

This has definitely been the best gift I've ever received.
What a wonderful and thoughtful personalized gift.  Closeup photos here.

5 comments:

  1. All I can say is AWESOME! I say so because I too was a kid that kept all those little things kids 'find'. I am thinking now that I should round up all those trinkets and make a lamp of my own!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, you'd be tempted to give the lamp a shake now and then to see if you could rearrange and review ... But maybe that's not allowed ... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible! Do I see truck-nuts in there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is seriously cool. Shame about all the change and dollar bill(s) in there. But I guess if he's ever pressed for money....lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I feel like I'm reading a post from my son's future, except I don't see any dice from the Magic card game.

    props to your mom.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...