08 July 2009

Revisiting the archives of TYWKIWDBI


Our roof has been leaking, and we have workmen scheduled to arrive, after which I have some other matters to focus my attention on, so I probably won't add any new blog material until after the weekend.

To keep visitors entertained, I'm in the process of trying to repost selected material I first blogged in 2007 and early 2008. At that time this blog only had a few dozen visitors per day, so I don't think many current visitors will have seen this material, except for those hardy souls who have waded through the archived material or searched favored topics.

In the process of doing this, I seem to have encountered a glitch that may be of interest to others who use this Blogger platform. Selecting an old post and trying to make it a future post by going to "post options" and changing the date to a future date seems not to work (and I may have lost one old post in trying to do so). Looking through Blogger's help pages, it appears that I may have violated the rule that a post cannot be BOTH "published" AND "scheduled."

What seems to work is to go to the old post, switch to "edit Html" view, copy and paste the contents onto a new post with a scheduled future date, delete the old one (but retain the picture, if any, when that option is offered), and then click to publish the scheduled one. That's tedious - it would be a lot easier just to change the date of the old post - and I thought I had done so once or twice in the past, but it doesn't seem to be working now.

If I'm doing this correctly, a half-dozen blasts from the past should be appearing for each of the next 4-5 days. Or I may be consigning all the better old material to the vaporsphere. Such is life...

5 comments:

  1. Stan, to repost old posts at a more recent time and date change the time and date, save as a draft first and then publish. The post should then be scheduled for a future date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is kind of Off Topic, but I added the Firefox ADDOn "AutoPager"
    It works great on your site.
    Someone has written Rules.
    Was that you?
    I am trying to learn how to write rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @gbradley - I haven't tried that addon, and haven't written any rules for my blog. Perhaps the rules you encountered are generic for all blogspot blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually the Author for the rules was TYWKIWDBI, so they were definitely written by a fan of the site.
    Whoever writes the rules can put whatever name that they want.
    I recommend you try the Addon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went back and re-read the Rules, the Author is swdyh. Sorry for the confusion.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...