05 November 2015

Xylitol in sugarless gum is toxic to dogs

Sam Caress and Jordan Pellett recently adopted Gunner. He's helped fill the hole in their hearts created when Luna, their two-year-old dog, died in April after getting into some chewing gum made with the sugar-substitute Xylitol.

Xylitol is safe for humans but can cause severe low blood sugar, seizures -- even liver failure -- in dogs.

Sugar-free gum is the biggest culprit. But Xylitol is also used in some sugar-free candies, chewable vitamins, even some baked goods and peanut butter.

The number of products is on the rise and so are the calls to the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center, from 82 in 2004 to more than 3,700 last year.
More at CBS News; video at the link.


  1. A few years ago, a vet told me that sugar in general is not good for dogs - well done for the ones feeding their dogs with cakes and other sweet stuff.
    Then we had a period when were troubles with dogs without owner (literally thousand of dogs), that time were attempts to reduce the population in various ways and that time I heard rumors about using some Xylitol hidden into chunks of meat, a sausage etc. The dog will die and it will look like the dog ingested something which it is not rated as poisonous for people. This will work in general for untrained dogs, that is why you have to train your dog not to eat from strangers or the food found on the ground.

    1. PS: to me looks like a typical story to be served by nowadays greatest and mighty media


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...