05 October 2026

"Send me a man who reads!" (International Paper advertisements of the 1960s)


These advertisements from International Paper ran in a variety of magazines in the early 1960s.  I encountered them in Reader's Digest, which our family subscribed to because it was the cheapest magazine subscription available via my high school's subscription-selling annual fund drive.  I clipped these ads out, posted them in various places, and saved them for decades until they disappeared during one of my moves between apartments as a young adult.

As an adult I've wanted to see the ads again because they were so influential on my high-school brain.  Some years ago I wrote to International Paper asking if any copies, prints, posters etc were available, but received no reply.  My current neighborhood library for understandable reasons does not keep hard copies of decades-old magazines.  I found these  two in a 2013 post at Reactor Fire.

Addendum:  A tip of the blogging cap to an anonymous reader who searched online and found this "doctor" one that was particularly meaningful to my 18-year-old self -

6 comments:

  1. Most of the YouTube channels I subscribe too are readers featuring reviews, etc. Some of them are younger men and they have many followers. Like BookTok I presume. It feels hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother subscribed to the Reader's Digest. As soon as it arrived, I would get it and read it from cover to cover in a day or two, then give it to her. It was something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had perhaps 20+ years of back issues in my high-school bedroom closet. I pulled out all the vocabulary quizzes and made them into study material. I have no doubt that those Reader's Digest quizzes helped me get 776 on English in my college boards.

      Delete
  3. The ad is some very good business strategy by IP. The more you read, the more books are needed. The more books, the more paper is needed. More paper is needed, IP is ready to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sparse on the web:

    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/B94AAeSwJVVqFY37/s-l1600.jpg "4 out 10 fifth-graders will become high-school dropouts"

    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lTsAAOSwt5Vl7foH/s-l1600.jpg How to get the reading bug to bite your child

    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/E0QAAOSwGDFm60B4/s-l1600.jpg I am school dropout

    https://admoneymachine-downloads.b-cdn.net/images/How_To_Improve_Your_Vocabulary.jpg “How To Improve Your Vocabulary” International Paper print ad with Tony Randall

    https://www.fulltable.com/VTS/l/lit/F.jpg doctor student studying in hall with coffee cup

    https://image.slidesharecdn.com/pc-24-66-vonnegut-140630162531-phpapp02/75/Writing-with-style-Kurt-Vonnegut-1-2048.jpg Writing with style - Kurt Vonnegut

    https://image.slidesharecdn.com/pc-24-66-vonnegut-140630162531-phpapp02/75/Writing-with-style-Kurt-Vonnegut-2-2048.jpg Writing with style - Kurt Vonnegut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, anonymous person. The "doctor" ad is the one I was particularly hoping to find someday. I've added it to the body of the post, and I thank you for your detective work.

      Delete