13 August 2026

The iconic green bathrobe is made from dried lamb's ear


I was surprised today when I checked TYWKIWDBI for previous posts about seed art and couldn't find any.  Time to correct that.  Embedded above is a Facebook entry about one of the artworks being submitted to the "seed art" competition at this autumn's Minnesota State Fair.  The subject matter of the art is particularly apt for Minnesota, but seed art in general deserves greater appreciation.

Here's the original photograph (credit Leila Navidi, Minnesota Star Tribune) on which this art is based:

"This image captures a scene in St. Paul, Minnesota last week during an incident involving ICE. The central figure in the light-green bathrobe and slippers is Sam Stroozas, a producer for Minnesota Public Radio. Stroozas, who lives only blocks away, rushed to the scene of the car crash that involved federal agents without changing clothes to record the results of their high-speed chase of an immigrant, who was later hospitalized."
Seed art or crop art has been a standard feature at many American state fairs since the 19th century.  When I was young, my family made annual visits to the state fair.  My favorite destination was not the rides but the crafts building.  I don't have the time or requisite skills to create seed art, but I do appreciate the time and effort involved.  I'll look to find other entries to this year's competition after the fair opens and hope to append some of them below later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment