08 August 2026

Is this true ?


I screencapped the above claim months ago, intending to research the matter, but have not found time to do so, and have now decided it's easier to ask readers here.  

I have an Echo that reminds me to take out the garbage, but I assumed that any "listening" would be stored on servers in humming datacenters and admixed with others, not stored on some "app" in my home in retrievable fulltext.

So is this typical internet bullshit from Luddites?

12 comments:

  1. Codex
    Partially true.
    Everything is listening and filtering key words for advertising.
    It's also being reviewed by people on occasion for training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud(?) happy(?) SONOS user and was mortified when they added Alexa to their base speaker. We bought several of the "old" ones quickly to avoid the intrusion. We currently have no "smart" things in our house. Apart from our phones, and they terrify me lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, silly commenting feature (or silly me anyway).
    I've never had one of these devices, but I'm assuming that the article they were referring to is https://www.cnet.com/home/security/a-privacy-ultimatum-starts-today-let-amazon-echo-process-your-data-or-stop-using-it/. According to my reading of it, it is still only stuff said after the 'wake word' that gets recorded/transmitted to the mothership.
    Still pretty bad, IMO, but not as unrelentingly evil as the post above implies.

    of course, that company has other means to get to the "unrelentingly evil" level. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any Alexa devices or allow anything to openly listen to me, I'll activate Siri manually thank you very much. But I was helping out an older fella with his phone and was able to find all his requests on Alexa and hear audio recordings of him asking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are not the only ones doing this. Beware of computer monitors, TVs, phones you use to control your TV, TV remotes you talk into. LG and Samsung are big offenders (other companies do this too). LG monitors have been adding bloatware and adware without your permission just by plugging in the monitor. They are even using your devices when not in use to go out and automate clicking on ads that they receive revenue on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not just that they keep the transcripts, humans listen to them! I can't imagine why someone would keep one of these devices in their home. surveillance used to be something agencies did but now the people surveil themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazon gonna have hours of me singing to my dog, as he barks back at me begging me to stop. I'm fine with that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Say the word "alligator sweater" every time it prompts you to take out the trash. Then see if any alligator sweaters show up in the beach litter of your internet browsing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My wife and I are over 75 years old and getting a little hard of hearing. I have Echo devices in each room of our home, primarily to use as an intercom. We use them this way several times a day. I also have them set up to call a family member if one of us suffers a fall or other accident where we can't reach a phone. I'm well aware of the loss of privacy, but I value this safety feature. Keep up the great work on Tywkiwdbi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Codex
    Complicated issue. I'm completely with Nepkarel on this one.
    the laws aren't there yet but the products are and what they do keeps changing.
    Cops can turn them off. Also by the time they get to a crime it's too late.
    Recording in the case you think of Stan and the other party could be harmless.

    This is a serious topic. Bloomberg has articles but behind a paywall otherwise I would link.

    Around 2008 Xbox wanted to watch people as they game...true. gaming community pushed back. Do I want families watched as they goof around because someone wants to see what snacks or food we eat while playing? Nope.
    Fun fact a popular Japanese game told players at precisely 23 hours of gameplay that they should get some sleep. Couldn't continue playing until five days had passed or reset the time. Just to alert people that this was possible. Also very funny.

    The Japanese do not like invasion of privacy

    ReplyDelete