29 July 2019

The "aluminum foil in the keyboard" trick


This morning my wireless keyboard (Apple 2007) died.  I checked the batteries - they were good.  Not only did the iMac not "find" the keyboard, but the green light in the upper right corner didn't light up when the button at the end of the board was pressed.  That meant that the problem was with the keyboard itself, not with the computer.  The batteries were not making proper contact with the circuit; various styles of shaking and bumping and banging the keyboard didn't resolve the problem.

I searched online, finding several recommendations for ways to clean the battery channel, and finally found a suggestion to try wadding up a small piece of aluminum foil and inserting that into the channel before reinserting the batteries.  Nothing to lose, so I tried - and it worked!  The green light smiled at me, and the iMac found the keyboard.  [the piece I inserted was smaller than the one I placed on top for the photo].

You learn something every day.

6 comments:

  1. that is good a temporary fix. i would clean the battery holder terminals and adjust them so they are just a little tighter.

    I-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how to clean a terminal that's at the bottom of a 10-inch deep hole.

      Delete
    2. Q-tip on a chopstick, perhaps? Or just don't bother; if a fix works, it works, right?

      Delete
    3. or a pencil on a long stick? use the pencil eraser to gently polish / clean any corrosion off the terminals?

      I-)

      Delete
  2. I had a wireless Mac keyboard quit on me for reasons that were never clear. But it didn't matter, as my husband had purchased an extended warranty. Apple sent me a new keyboard, and "reserved" $75 buck on my credit card until I returned the old one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a digital camera that had problems with the battery. Googling found a solution to put a dime in the battery compartment to tighten things up a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...