27 April 2019

Robocall blockers


The Washington Post Consumer Tech column has an article about apps for blocking robocalls.
By several estimates, Americans got more than 5.2 billion automated calls in March...

I discovered no service could flag more than two-thirds of the calls on my list, in part because so many robocalls spoof their identities. Those are the calls that look conspicuously similar to your number, or that copy the caller ID of some poor soul who gets lots of angry return calls...

It comes down to how much effort you want to put into battling robocalls and how much personal information you’re willing to share to make it happen. Just adding numbers to your phone’s individual block list won’t get you very far, but there are a few simple steps from which everyone can benefit... 
Discussion and recommendations at the link.  I have been delighted with the efficacy of Nomorobo our our landline, but I haven't yet decided what to do re the cellphone.  I'd be glad to hear suggestions.

Image credit.

7 comments:

  1. Nomorobo has apps for both iPhone and Android. You might even be able to link your current account so you’re not paying double.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... a record of about 16 for every man, woman and child."

    This is per day, right?

    /s -- sort of ...

    Lurker111

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out; I deleted the ambiguity.

      Delete
  3. On Android I use an app called "Should I answer" and I only get maybe one robocall a week that actually comes through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Google Voice and activate the setting that requires the person on the other end to say their name before the call is put through.

    I occasionally hear a half ring before the call disappears. Haven't answered a robo call in months now, or had to delete a message in voice mail. I also get fewer attempts now as well, because the number is probably routing to a "don't bother using" list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have good success with native blocking on my Android Pixel phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with the term "native blocking." Does that mean built into the phone? or coming from domestic sources? Or does it refer to ad blocking on websites?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...