10 December 2016

"The Lady in the Van"


I watched this movie last night.  Absolutely delightful.  A tour de force by Maggie Smith.
The Lady in the Van is a 2015 British comedy-drama film directed by Nicholas Hytner, written by Alan Bennett, and starring Maggie Smith and Alex Jennings. It tells the true story of Mary Shepherd, an elderly woman who lived in a dilapidated van on Bennett's driveway in London for 15 years. Smith previously portrayed Shepherd twice: in the original 1999 theatrical production, which earned her a Best Actress nomination at the 2000 Olivier Awards; and in the 2009 BBC Radio 4 adaptation.

1 comment:

  1. I had forgotten that I wanted to see this movie until I read the title of this post several days ago, so thanks for the reminder. I got the DVD from the library and watched it yesterday, Christmas Day, snuggled up on the sofa with my husband and one of the cats. We really enjoyed the movie, and Maggie Smith's performance in particular.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...