15 March 2013

"Cactus buck" explained

The buck was so odd that Nickel thought the buck’s rack was wrapped up in twine or something else.

“I thought there was stuff wrapped up in his rack. I could see that he was fairly wide and had some mass, it just didn’t make sense. I almost didn’t shoot him as I’d never seen anything like this before. I couldn’t take it anymore and decided to shoot this thing,” reported Nickel...

A cactus buck is a deer that has... cryptorchidism, which results in velvet remaining on antlers and continuing to grow throughout the year. The condition generally occurs to bucks that have irregular testicles or have incurred testicular damage, which impacts testosterone levels. Testosterone regulates antler growth and development. 
Via North American Whitetail.  There's another example at The Local:
Animals with this condition are not expected to live for a long time. Once the antlers grow over his eyes, the animal will be unable to fend for itself.

3 comments:

  1. "I almost didn’t shoot him as I’d never seen anything like this before. I couldn’t take it anymore and decided to shoot this thing"

    In other words: "I didn't know what it was so I killed it".

    That pretty well says it all right there, doesn't it? What a putz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a fairly ignorant statement as well. The irony is that he unknowingly probably did the deer a favor rather than allowing it to live out its final days blind, starving, and possibly wounded.

      Delete
  2. Kill one of the cactus rack bucks in Missouri on Jan 10th 2015. I thought it was a little basket rack buck till I went to field dress it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...