03 June 2012

Defrauding the IRS with fake tax returns

I had heard about the scams earlier this year:
With nothing more than ledgers of stolen identity information — Social Security numbers and their corresponding names and birth dates — criminals have electronically filed thousands of false tax returns with made-up incomes and withholding information and have received hundreds of millions of dollars in wrongful refunds, law enforcement officials say.
But I didn't understand how the malefactors could successfully cash the returns without being detected and apprehended.  The story at the New York Times explains how:
...the criminals receive the refund, sometimes by check but more often though a convenient but hard-to-trace prepaid debit card. The government-approved cards, intended to help people who have no bank accounts, are widely available in many places, including tax preparation companies. Some of them are mailed, and the swindlers often provide addresses for vacant houses, even buying mailboxes for them, and then collect the refunds there
How much is it costing the government you and me?
J. Russell George, the Treasury inspector general for tax administration, testified before Congress this month that the I.R.S. detected 940,000 fake returns for 2010 in which identity thieves would have received $6.5 billion in refunds. But Mr. George said the agency missed an additional 1.5 million returns with possibly fraudulent refunds worth more than $5.2 billion. 
Billion with a B.
In South Florida and Tampa, the problem has gotten so bad that police officers conducting unrelated searches or simple traffic stops routinely stumble across ledgers with names and Social Security numbers, boxes of stolen medical records and envelopes with debit cards...

Most vulnerable are records from health care facilities, assisted-living centers, schools, insurance companies, pension funds and large stores that issue credit cards. The police say employees steal the information and sell it, an increasingly common practice here...

Career criminals know easy money when they see it. The police say they run across street corner drug dealers and robbers who have been in and out of prison for years now making lots of money by filing fraudulent returns. Some have been spotted driving Bentleys and Lamborghinis. “A gentleman, a former armed robber, said: ‘I’m not doing robberies anymore. This is much cleaner. I don’t even have to use a gun.’
Via BoingBoing.

4 comments:

  1. It happened to me this year. It's terrible.

    The thing is I have no idea where they got my info. I assume it was when I was shopping for new car insurance.

    The criminals files with sompletely bogus info in early January. Before I received my W-2 and before I could have possible filed.

    The one thing I will say is that the experience (paradoxically) renewed my faith in the IRS. The person who I spoke with was super helpful and kind. It was the one positive feature in a very negative experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I don't understand how they get away with this while regular folks get audited??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another good reason to quit taxing income and start taxing purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure there were too many good reasons for that to begin with. I suppose every little bit helps?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...