06 October 2011

TYWKIWDBI passes* a new milestone

Today's Technorati Authority score was 632, giving us a ranking of #434 in the blogosphere (out of perhaps a million blogs).

Both of these numbers are new highs; the blog's authority score climbed to the low 600s in August, but when my blogging slowed down because of distractions, the score fell to the low 500s (with a rank around #2000) within a couple weeks.  This really demonstrates how the Technorati algorithm emphasises recent activity.  The most important factor driving the ranking system is links to this blog (which I monitor every morning), and I'm always grateful to those of you who choose to link to my posts.

The score itself doesn't have any real meaning in any practical sense, since I don't sell advertising space.  It's just a type of "validation," like getting a little blue star on your report card to bring home.

We will pass* two more milestones before the end of the year.  I've written 8913 posts so far, so the 10,000th should happen about New Years or so.  And there are now 950 "followers" in the Google Friend Connect system (see the right sidebar for avatars); at the recent rate of growth, that number should reach 1000 before year's end, at which point I hope to do some kind of acknowledgement of all of you. 

* Note the choice of verb.  I credit Michael Kinsley's article in the Atlantic last year for reminding me that "you don't HIT a milestone if you hope to reach the next one."

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Regarding your terminology, when I hear "pass" and "stone" I think something much more uncomfortable...

    Good job, great blogs, keep it up and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I've been stalking this site for years, sure beats watching TV. Keep up the interesting posts! (and i'll try to link to it more often) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's we who should thank you =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pardon my ignorance but how would 'hitting a milestone' affect our ability to reach the next one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No pardon required. Many people don't know that a "milestone" is a real object. Here are pix of some -

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milestone

    You don't want to hit them with your car/bike etc. You want to pass by them.

    :.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for you! and for us too!
    Would you be so kind as to post a trillium pic for old times' sake?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew, that would be hard to justify this time of year at our latitude, since the trilliums in the woods are long gone.

    But you can look at this post -

    http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2010/12/trillium.html

    - from last December when I changed the header.

    :.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stan, I love your blog and come her almost every day. Thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This seems to me an appropriate post on which to ask a question which has always lurked in the back of my mind. Given that you have such a wide following, with so many readers, why are there so relatively few comments on each post? So many other blogs have endless comments that I couldn't be bothered to read them all, yet I have time to read your daily posts and all of the comments that follow (which adds to the discourse immensely). I don't get it, what am I missing?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...