13 May 2011

Near-death experience -- over ??

The host for TYWKIWDBI - Blogspot - went rogue overnight, leaving the blog inaccessible and erasing all my posts from yesterday (including the very interesting Pew political profile quiz and the responses from about 300 TYWKIWDBI readers).

I'm not confident that the storm has passed.  I'll wait to begin reposting until perhaps tomorrow, and see if Blogspot can recover the lost posts.

Addendum:  This explanation from the host -
What a frustrating day. We’re very sorry that you’ve been unable to publish to Blogger for the past 20.5 hours. We’re nearly back to normal — you can publish again, and in the coming hours posts and comments that were temporarily removed should be restored... Here’s what happened: during scheduled maintenance work Wednesday night, we experienced some data corruption that impacted Blogger’s behavior. Since then, bloggers and readers may have experienced a variety of anomalies including intermittent outages, disappearing posts, and arriving at unintended blogs or error pages.

Yesterday we returned Blogger to a pre-maintenance state and placed the service in read-only mode while we worked on restoring all content: that’s why you haven’t been able to publish.  We rolled back to a version of Blogger as of Wednesday May 11th, so your posts since then were temporarily removed. Those are the posts that we’re in the progress of restoring.
I don't know whether the (quite interesting) poll results will be restored.

10 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm going to leave a sacrifical comment to appease the gods of Blogspot, hoping it will be acceptable in their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found two of my stray posts in the scheduled posts, reposted them and they appeared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blast. That was a really interesting survey, too. Maybe people will be kind enough to redo it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestion, Joanne, but no such luck for me; I'll have to reply on Blogspot's mainframe backups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have some of the posts from yesterday saved in my RSS reader.. do you need them or is everything fine now? This doesn't include the comments though of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the kind offer, Chatterly. I think I'll wait and see what Blogger can resurrect from the ashes. If stuff is lost, it's not a tragedy - I'll probably just move on to new things rather than try to remember what I posted before.

    Of course, you still might save them and see if they become valuable rarities someday...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My removed post from yesterday came back, but my traffic stats are ...odd for that period. Since no one could comment during the outage I'm not sure what that bodes for your poll. Try waving a chicken thrice widdershins over the monitor screen. Fractal demons aren't too bright. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Jacob's Ladder post just returned. I'll wait till tomorrow when the dust settles.

    I might revive the poll; people wouldn't need to take the quiz again - just check the relevant box.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, the poll was interesting. this self-describe independent conservative was classified as post-modern like you. I'd love to see the poll return.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that explains why my blog was a bit fried yesterday. I was out of the office and on return noticed several edits and posts had mysteriously disappeared. Perhaps blogger will right itself soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...