05 January 2011

Aron Ralston's book has now been made into a film


Embedded above is a rather marginal-quality video of Tom Brokaw's interview with Aron Ralston on Dateline NBC (the other five parts are here).  I remember watching it on television when it aired in 2004; it was really awesome.

Ralston has written a book about his experience...
My first act is to sever, with a downward sawing motion, as much of the skin on the inside surface of my forearm as I can, without tearing any of the noodle-like veins so close to the skin. Once I’ve opened a large enough hole in my arm, about four inches below my wrist, I momentarily stow the knife, holding its handle in my teeth, and poke first my left forefinger and then my left thumb inside my arm and feel around.
... and the Telegraph reports that the book has now been made into a film by Danny Boyle (director of Trainspotting, Sunshine, and Slumdog Millionaire).

4 comments:

  1. Not sure when it will have a wide release, but it's out here in Utah. I've seen it. It's BRUTAL. The amputation scene is so intense that it's making people sick. You can buy tee-shirts that say, "I kept my eyes open for 127 hours." (127 hours is the name of the film.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't this have a fairly major release nationwide? I saw it at Sundance Cinemas in Madison over Thanksgiving, but noticed it was also playing in a megaplex in the suburbs of Saint Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to Wikipedia -

    "Premiered on September 4, the film saw limited release in New York and Los Angeles on November 5, 2010. The film was expanded to 22 theaters on November 12, 108 on November 19, and 279 on November 24."

    and of note -

    "Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 94% of 143 professional critics have given the film a positive review, with a rating average of 8.4 out of 10. Among Rotten Tomatoes' Top Critics, which consists of popular and notable critics from the top newspapers, websites, television and radio programs, the film holds an overall approval rating of 91%, based on a sample of 32 reviews."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing it seemed like a bigger release just due to the awareness my social circle had for the movie. I really liked the movie. I read the book soon after it came out, so I was pretty fuzzy on the details when I saw the film.

    After refreshing myself on what was in the book I was disappointed with the omission of some key details, mostly background on Ralston's life. The story fits the theme of many outdoor disaster stories. I don't want to say that its "He got what he deserved," but Ralston is clearly reckless. I find the sense of adventure in people like Ralston very admirable, but firstly foolish.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...