11 December 2010

Harry Potter toys and the Salvation Army

CALGARY — The Salvation Army says it refuses to distribute Harry Potter and Twilight toys collected for needy children because they’re incompatible with the charity’s Christian beliefs...

...he was told by Salvation Army officials that the two kinds of toys are “disposed of” and not given to other charities....

“I was told to withhold a six-inch Harry Potter figure, but when I picked up a plastic M-16, I was told, ‘That’s for the 10-year-olds,’” he said.
Via Cynical-C.

Update Dec 15: Reader Glenn Whidden found evidence that the incident cited above may have been the policy of only one Salvation Army group in Canada, and that the Salvation Army as a whole does not have a policy against Harry Potter toys.  Story here.

6 comments:

  1. Do not donate ANYTHING to Sally Ann; they're quite demented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am, for lack of a better word, disgusted.

    What's next? Refusing to give clothes and shelter to a homeless person because they're gay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely absurd. I agree with Evan. I'm disgusted. Killing people is okay with Christians, but good vs. evil is not? Who cares about Twilight, but Harry Potter is an example of incredible literature and life lessons every child needs to learn. And Evan... unfortunately, I think that already happens. America is moving backward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Glenn, for finding that. I've appended a note to the post and changed the title.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...