15 July 2010

Compensatory vacation for time required to get dressed

Excerpts from a story at The Telegraph:
Martin Schauder, 44, calculated to the second how long it took to don his regulation undershirt, trousers, thruncheon-holding belt, handcuffs, weapon and gas canister, overshirt, tunic, boots, protective kneepads (when on riot control), hat and gloves.

He claimed it took 15 minutes each morning outside his paid shift hours to get dressed, and 15 minutes at the end of each shift to undress, which a Münster administrative court agreed constituted overtime.

The officer in the north-west German city had argued with his superiors for months, demanding either getting a pay rise or time off in lieu for what he said amounted to 45 hours of his time he was giving to his employers each year. They refused on both counts, saying it was part of his duties as a policeman.

So he took the force to the city's administrative court - and won...
More at the link.  I swear there are days when I think the whole world is going crazy.  

Via Arbroath.

A hat tip to Pete for pointing out that "donning and doffing compensation" is a big deal in this country as well.  I never knew that.  But it's confirmed here, and in a boatload of other web resources.   Now I'm even more bummed out...

10 comments:

  1. Donning and doffing compensation is actually a fairly common source of litigation here in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. words fail me... Perhaps after a glass of wine or two I can gather my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. pour one for me too.

    Heck, there isn't a job out there which does require some sort of clothing.. even strippers have to start with something (then they take it off on the clock)

    But our local pool lifeguards come in in street clothes, clock in, *then* change into work clothes. I suppose a case can be made for being allowed to clock in before changing when the changing is done on the premises.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It boggles the mind. Perhaps the fellow is usually au naturel when not at work?? And does he receive compensation for travel to and from work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So people who work in the IT department (where, if we're lucky, they remember to wear shoes) should be paid less than the marketing ladies who have to arrive at the office dressed to the teeth and with hair/makeup perfect?

    Interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw the article I was disgusted. It's bad enough that the thought even occurred to the guy, but that a court agreed--that's nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Argh
    Every time someone selfishly sues, we all lose freedom.
    The legal trade is a runaway train.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I can see the reasoning behind the "protective gear" ruling. Think of it this way: doctors and nurses are expected to scrub and glove immediately before surgical procedures - they can't do that protective measure at home, so they get compensated for that activity. Likewise, my the nurses at my primary care doctor's office and the techs at my dentist's office wash their hands and don gloves between each patient and are again compensated for that time, as they are paid either a salary or hourly rather than by patient. I wouldn't want it any other way! So why shouldn't those who work in fields were protective gear is required for their safety and the safety of others be compensated for such behavior? They can be fined for not doing so; better in my mind to reward for appropriate behavior if there's a penalty for negative behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think this is a bad article. I read the article and it is not that bad. It is has some interesting lines. It is a nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coming in late to this (15 months or so), but I don't see any difference between their time getting dressed and, say, turning on one's PC and then going and getting coffee while it boots up. It is all preparation for functioning properly. Protective clothing is preparation as well. I see shifts of people donning "clean room" garb on their own time at my plant that makes ice cream, and they come in 15 minutes early to don it all. I don the same clothing when I go to the clean room areas from time to time in the middle of the day, and my own time is certainly paid. Should they not be paid because they work in that area their entire shift?

    I honestly don't see any reason they should not be paid for that. They have to get up 15 minutes early! Why the heck not?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...