13 September 2009

Coupons are clipped by affluent people, not the poor

* More affluent consumers ($70k+) are considered super heavy coupon2 users (39 percent compared to 35 percent for total U.S. households) and coupon enthusiasts (42 percent compared to 35 percent for total U.S. households.)

* Those likely to be low or non-coupon users: low-income, 1-member households, male-only head of households, African-Americans and Hispanic consumers, residents in rural and struggling urban areas.

Data from Nielsen, via The Consumerist and Time.

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to say it is because of leisure time; rich people have the time to clip, poor people, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a person of low income, I can explain this phenomenon: coupons are intended to get you to buy, try and like a name brand product, which are almost always higher priced than the generic brand (except for that initial 5% "savings").

    Maybe the better question would have been: Who's the more careful shopper and creative cook/homemaker? Who's better able to 'make do'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Marlys. When we had a very limited budget, I found that the store brand was almost always much cheaper than the name brand with coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with Marlys and Barbwire. Store brands are as good for most products and most of the coupons I see in places such as the Sunday paper are for things I don't need or can't use.

    And recently, coupons seem to be good only for about a month -- I remember when they did not expire for 6 months to a year.

    CCL

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't get rich by being cheap. You stay rich by being cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost never clip coupons as they are for crap items I never can afford to buy or just items I would never use.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...