03 August 2009

Bird nest with side entrance


While walking I noticed this bird's nest in a small tree at about 6 feet off the ground. I didn't investigate too closely since I wasn't sure if it was still in use, but its architecture is different from other nests I've seen in this area. The overall shape is that of a tall soup bowl or flat-topped sphere, but the top seems to be roofed over, with an entrance at the side where the dark hole(s) is/are.

I'll come back in the late fall for a closer look and better pix with the foliage gone. I have no idea what bird builds in this fashion.

3 comments:

  1. orioles, weavers, some types of swallows, and wrens all can have those enclosed kind of nests.

    Given your location in MN my guess would be a wren though

    ReplyDelete
  2. what type of wren... hey there are only about 80 or so

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite my screen name, my actual location in the real world is near Madison in south-central Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...