01 August 2009

Americans can sleep better tonight...

... knowing that a woman with knitting needles was asked to leave a government office building.
A North Texas woman is asked to leave a Balch Springs Social Security office after a guard accused her of carrying dangerous weapons: her knitting needles.

“The armed guard came up to me and said I have to take that outside,” said Rachel Vines… "I was sitting there minding my own business trying to knit a sock.”

Apparently the Officer determined the five-inch knitting needles were a threat to the safety and security of those inside the building. The Federal Protective Service oversees security inside the building and would not answer questions about the incident, but it did email NBCDFW this statement:

“The Federal Protective Service (FPS) is responsible for keeping federal properties safe and secure for both employees and visitors. If an FPS guard determines that an object carried by a visitor could present a safety risk or be used by another person as a weapon, they may be asked to remove it from the building.”
Zero tolerance requires zero brains.

Via The Daily Dish.

5 comments:

  1. Normally I hate the mindless mindset of security guards, but in this case he was right. Any convict would be happy to get such a great set of shivs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, have you fallen victim to the paranoia and fear campaign of the Republicans?? Where did you come up with a "convict?" This was a Social Security office. Granted an ex-convict (or a future convict) could be anywhere, but if he or she wanted to cause trouble, they could bring a weapon - they wouldn't look around for knitting needles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The victory of the terrorists is complete. They've turned us into a nation of fearful sheep. Surrender your knitting! America quakes at plastic forks and nail clippers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course they wanted her to give up her needles; she might have been knitting an Afghan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I went for jury duty in Richmond, VA., I brought my plastic knitting needles with me. I had read the juror handbook that suggested bringing a quite activity while you wait to be called, such as needlework, so of course I thought my knitting would be fine. My keys would be more dangerous than blunt tipped plastic needles. Nonetheless, I was not allowed to enter the building with them. I tried to leave them at the desk, but could not. Because I was afraid of being late to the jury room, I did not have time to walk back to my car, several blocks away. I had to throw the needle away, outside and then go back through security a second time. I could have taken it in stride if the guard had not been so mean about it. I wrote asking that they update their manual so that this would not happen again. People entering the courthouse are not even allowed to bring in bottled water. It is super strict. Cell phones are not allowed either, and apparently people try to hide them outside in the bushes if they cannot go back to their cars.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...