07 March 2009

Engagement needs to precede sales

A striking illustration of an important business principle: before you sell something to a customer, you have to "engage" them by getting their attention and interacting with them.

When there were old-school parking meters in New York, quarters were precious.

One day, I'm walking down the street and a guy comes up to me and says, "Do you have a dollar for four quarters?" He held out his hand with four quarters in it.

Curious, I engaged with him. I took out a dollar bill and took the four quarters.

Then he turned to me and said, "Can you spare a quarter?"

What a fascinating interaction.

First, he engaged me. A fair trade, one that perhaps even benefited me, not him.

Now, we have a relationship. Now, he knows I have a quarter (in my hand, even). So his next request is much more difficult to turn down. If he had just walked up to me and said, "can you spare a quarter," he would have been invisible.

Interact first, sell second.
Credit to Seth Godin, via Growabrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...