10 March 2009

The Book of Eclipses



by Cyprian Leowitz is online at the The Digital Library Department of the Bavarian State Library. (ostensibly: 'Accurate coloured depictions of solar and lunar eclipses covering the years 1554 to 1600 with Vienna, Austria as the point of reference')
Click to enlarge the images to larger than fullscreen.

Images and text from the fascinating site BibliOdyssey.* The top figure depicts the difference between a solar and lunar eclipse; the bottom one shows the effect of a partial eclipse upon a landscape. More pix at the link.

* which I'll add to my list of "highly recommended blogs" later this month.

1 comment:

  1. this reminds me of a time back when I was married to x#2 she walks in the living room, "hun why is it so dark in this house, we need lights, etc etc for about 15 mins she was complaining, I told her, "hon, today we are having a solar eclipse"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...