13 February 2009

Rules for a gunfight

I learned to handle and shoot guns before I was a teenager. So it was with a certain sense of amusement that I encountered a set of 28 rules in Field and Stream. Here are my favorites:
  • Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammunition is cheap - life is expensive. If you shoot inside, buckshot is your friend.

  • In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

  • Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

  • Stretch the rules. Always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

  • Use cover or concealment as much as possible, but remember, sheetrock walls and the like stop nothing but your pulse when bullets tear through them.

  • Watch their hands. Hands kill. Smiles, frowns and other facial expressions don't.

  • Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature.

  • The only thing you EVER say afterwards is, "He said he was going to kill me. I believed him. I'm sorry, Officer, but I'm very upset now. I can't say anything more. Please speak with my attorney."

  • Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
And finally, a Rule For Unarmed Combat: Never be unarmed

I'm a centrist in most things, so TYWKIWDBI tends to draw readers from both sides of the various aisles and from a few fringes. A bunch of you will find the above list abhorrent; a bunch more will chortle and email them to your friends. Let's not use the comment section here for a verbal battleground.

Found at Kottke this morning.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome list! I'm really chortling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. After finishing Violence: A Micro-Sociological Theory these quotes just strike me as a lot of Hollywood-inspired bluster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some really great comments at the original post.

    I liked this one too:
    * If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

    Or course, the key to these rules was:
    * Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...