10 February 2009

Produce market


Washington, D.C., 1922. It's from Shorpy, so click to enlarge it to wallpaper size before exploring it. What fascinates me is that I'm just old enough to remember when vegetables and fruit still were sold in boxes and baskets made of wood (I think into the early 1960s?).

Notice the individual minibaskets of ?mushrooms at the far right. Today those would be made of plastic. The crates would probably be cardboard now. I'm not saying things were better then - just different.

2 comments:

  1. excellent photo, I too am old enough to remember back when wood was the popular container for fruits and produce, and also I came about the end of the era of "the milk man"

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are more choices in fruit and vegetable containers now, but wood containers like those are still readily available, and used frequently by folks at farmers markets. They hold up for reuse much better than fiberboard ones, which makes them economical in the long run.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...