19 February 2009

The business of sport


Anna Carin Olofsson Zidek, of Sweden, took a shot during the women’s International Biathlon Union world championships Wednesday in Pyeongchang, South Korea. She placed fourth. In a Biathlon competition, the athlete skis distances varying from 6 to 20 km and stops at the shooting range to shoot two or four times. (Martin Rose/Bongarts/Getty Images)(source)
This photo is attracting attention because of the clever use of the baby's face on the sun shield. I'm blogging it for a different reason - because it serves as a sort of iconic image for me of the commercialization and "corporatization" of sport. As I look at the picture, I see nine - perhaps ten - different corporate logos. Just from the mid-thorax up.

Perhaps its necessary for the sport to survive and/or prosper. I don't know. But it's kind of sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...